Like the iPhone that launched it, Angry Birds has been a catalyst for the mobile phone industry.
Record after record has tumbled and the brand has since expanded into new products, other mobile platforms, the web, toys, t-shirts and even a movie. But how many has it sold across the product range?
Statistics from ATYM provide an indication, if not the definitive answer that only Rovio can provide:
- 300 million downloads and growing, with downloads estimated to reach the 1 billion mark
- Based on a sample of American consumers, 45% went onto purchase the paid version of the original Angry Birds game. That is a very high percentage for freemium purchases even at the tier 1 price point
- Males are 35% more likely to buy the paid version than females, with males aged 18-24 75% more likely to buy it than females over the age of 25 and, encouragingly for the future of mobile gaming sales 18-24 year olds are 33% more likely to buy the game than those over 25
- More than 100 billion Angry Birds are estimated to have been thrown. We’re not quite sure how on earth you work that stat out, but even so that’s a lot of Angry Birds
- The platform stats. 32% on iPhone; a surprisingly high 33% on iPod touch; 15% on iPad; 6% on Mac; 41% on Android, 25% on PC and 6% ‘other’