Rebecca Black’s infamously bad ‘Friday’ song and accompanying video is surely the highest traffic meme on YouTube. Take a look at the stats at the time at writing:
- 128 million, yes million, views
- 351k likes, but a whopping 2.5 million dislikes, the most dislikes of any YouTube video (beating Justin Bieber’s ‘Baby’)
- 2.81 million comments. Million, seriously.
- Too many parodies, commentaries, pieces of news coverage to mention
- All combined, this surely makes it the biggest YouTube meme in history
And here at the current ‘YouTube honors:
- #2 – Most Discussed (All Time)
- #2 – Most Discussed (All Time) – Music
- #82 – Top Favorited (All Time) – Music
- #18 – Top Rated (All Time)
- #10 – Top Rated (All Time) – Music
And, yes, the song is terrible, but even more annoying is that it is a little catchy.
It may all be rather unfair on a young girl, but it just goes to show that if you’re going to do something badly, do it so badly it’s remarkable (nearly 3m remarks and counting…).